Skip to content

Moving to China – Change in Residence License Application Process

For those planning moving to China, we have been provided with the following advise from our agents about the residence application process.

On 1 July 2013 the Chinese Government announced the extension of the residence license application process from 5 to 15 working days, with immediate effect. This will prolong the inbound process for household goods shipments into China, since a residence license is required to obtain an import permit.

However, household goods shipments can be shipped out to China provided:

– the shipper has already obtained an employment license and passed a medical test successfully

– the shipper is certain that the relevant documents (work/residence permit) will be available when the container arrives at the port.

If a container arrives at the port without the relevant documents, which includes a work – and residence licence (issued for 1 year), then demurrage and handling charges will occur. Also, if the shipment cannot be cleared within 90 days, it will either be detained or returned to its origin.

For customers moving to China please call your Abels customer liaison on their direct line or call head office on +44(0)1842 816600 or email