The story behind the restoration of the retro Bedford MLD has been included in an article in The best of Norfolk Guide.
The Best of Norfolk is an annual guide that celebrates everything about life and living in the county of Norfolk. Launched in 2002 by Janette Phillips, it has become a respected title and aims to have the highest production standards of any Norfolk guide.
Here are the details about the restoration of the Abels Bedford MLD that appeared in the Best of Norfolk Guide. The original article can be seen at http://bestnorfolk.com/maudes-restoration-story-with-abel-removals/.
The Bedford lorry was originally built as a flat truck for agricultural work during the war, it has a petrol 2800cc engine and was owned by Worcestershire War Agriculture Committee.
It was then purchased by Maudes Transport in 1951 and fitted with its luton body to be used on removals till 1967, hence her name ‘Maude’. The lorry then sat abandoned from 1967-83, when after 16 years of being unloved her first restoration began!
With the exception of some body panels and the hinged bonnet the whole vehicle is original. It took 7 years to completely restore her to be running again in March 1990.
As you can see, the Bedford lorry has been beautifully restored. The hand-painted sign writing was done freehand by a semi-retired sign writer Mervin Dove.