Below is a summary of the key dates in Abels’ history. More detail can be found by viewing the Abels story:
- Started delivering goods as an Auctioneer in 1958
- Completed first large container warehouse in 1976
- Opened own Training School in 1980
- Moved wedding presents for Prince Charles and Princess Diana in 1981
- Developed Marks & Spencer Home Delivery Service
- Awarded the Royal Warrant to Her Majesty the Queen since 1988
- BS EN ISO 9001 awarded in 1993
- Abels purchased by Hays plc in 1991
- Gained Investor in People Award in 1995, the first moving company to do so
- Management Buyout in 1998
- Updated corporate identity and service presentation in 2001
- Warehouse facilities in Brandon (Suffolk), Ely and Huntingdon (Cambridgeshire)
- Obtained contracts for the Abels Home Delivery Furniture Service in 2003 from The John Lewis Partnership and Wesley Barrell.
HRH, Prince Andrew, with Philip Pertoldi, Abels’ Chairman, at the opening of the company’s new warehouse in Ely, Cambridgeshire.