Packing – Reasons why it may be best to trust a Professional
CONSIDERING OWNER PACKING?
Please take a moment to read our advice first. It often seems a good idea. “it wont take me long”, “I’ll buy my
materials cheaply”, “I’ve done it before when we moved locally/years ago”, “it will save me lots of money!!”
When it comes to the task, you may come up against unforeseen challenges!
• Our crews pack on average 5 to 6 cartons per hour because of training & experience
• When you pack you’ll find you are delayed by your daily duties (family / work / other moving preparations / doorbell rings / phone calls / cooking / children to school / household chores etc – your list is endless!!)
• You will undoubtedly come across memories; forgotten pictures, wedding dress, children’s painting etc, and you
will reminisce – taking you longer to pack.
• For full house moves crews will be packing in your home from 8am until 4/5pm.
– You will likely get tired sooner than the crews because you’re not used to the work being undertaken. So the
packing will take many days, often unanticipated.
– 15-30kgs is approximately what each carton will weigh. They are heavy enough for a removal man, and certainly
don’t get lighter as the day goes on!
– The first few cartons will be exciting – “your packing ready for a move”, but this will soon get boring and you
cant wait to finish, and could mean that corners are cut.
• Cost of materials you can buy may appear cheap, but, for example;
– Argos currently offers cartons for packing a 3-4 bedroom home and offers only 23 mixed size boxes, 10m of bubble and 3 rolls of tape.
– Experience tells us that you will need between 50-120 cartons depending if you are a minimalist or have more lifetime accumulation.
– Number of children, size of garage and volume stored in the loft will have a large bearing on the number of
cartons required. For a full house move this is best assessed by a home visit from an Abels surveyor.
– So your initial outlay on one pack of cartons at Argos may then be a first payment of many, by which time you are already spending much more than you expected!
• Quality of materials bought elsewhere is normally not sufficient for shipping overseas.
– Abels uses B&C fluting which provides great strength and is double walled
– The outer is water resistant
– The grade of card is 200M/15T/BC
– Self store and internet cartons will often be 125M/10/B – which means the stregth of outer and inner card is weaker, it is single walled, no water resistance.
• We use Export quality, high grade cartons, soft cloth lined bubble wrap and recycled high grade packing paper.
• The trade often risk single ply or thin grade cartons
– imagine them after an 11,000 mile journey on the rough seas to Sydney – with your best china packed within.
They offer you plastic bubble wrap, which traps moisture that is inherent in most items and through the equator
will cause items to sweat, producing mould on the product
• We only use thick export paper to wrap small items, this protects fantastically, is recyclable and allows items to breath
|Comparison Price||Abels||Big Yellow||Argos|
|23 carton mix||£36.11||£74.99||£59.99|
|Small Bubble 100m||£25.00||£59.99||n/a (not recommended as this is plastic, which
makes items sweat)
|Export Bubble||£56.00||n/a||n/a (double thickness / height / export quality / more robust and more for your money)|
|Tissue Paper 250sheets||£7.43||£9.99||n/a (tissue not necessary unless packing silver or crystal)|
|White paper 500sheets||£7.50||n/a||n/a (instead of above, tissue for silver)|
And remember – the cartons that they list are not the same size as most removal companies would offer! Many are considerably smaller than the dimensions a removal man will pack into – so you believe you are getting the same number, however the volume will be considerably reduced. This will allow you to reduce cost and time, making your move easier.
Should you wish to discuss this further with an Abels expert please call our head office on 01842 816600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org