In the June Issue of Classic and Vintage Commercials Magazine our restored Abels Bedford MLD truck appears on page 28.
In the article written by Peter Simon in the magazine about the 2016 London to Brighton Commercial Vehicle run, he comments:
“Had there been a prize for the most eye-catching livery, then Neil Pertoldi’s 1941 Bedford MLD would surely have been a contender! New as a dropside, it was rebodied as a removal van in 1951, and restored over a seven year period between 1983 and 1990. Further work, including a repaint, was undertaken in 2015.”
Background Details of the Abels 1941 Bedford MLD commercial vehicle DWP 40
It has a 6 cylinder 27.34 hp petrol engine, 4 speed crash gearbox with single dry plate clutch delivering power to a floating rear axle with spiral bevel final drive. Brakes were Lockheed hydraulic type and servo assisted operating on all four wheels.
The M series is a commercial vehicle chassis, the first variants of which were made by Bedford in 1939 mainly to support the war effort and production ran through to 1953. There were two wheelbase lengths offered; MS (short) 10’ 0” or ML (long) 11’ 11.”
Abels Bedford is an MLD and the D meaning dropside.
Following the war, it was bodied in 1951 as a removal van with a 750 cubic foot box and drop tail.
In 1983 restoration commenced lasting over a 7 year period.
In 2015 further restoration included a full repaint.